Game Notes | Tiger Football vs. Fairdale
Last night, the Tigers ran up a huge early lead and never looked back. Obviously, Fairdale is not the toughest opponent on St. X’s schedule, but it was still a good win. Let’s take a closer look at Friday night’s 56-14 victory.
- A few of the Tigers’ offensive starters did not play. Wide receivers Will Crum and Dominic Allgeier as well as running back Brett Metzmeier were all sidelined due to injury. All three should be back in the coming weeks. Despite these absences, the offense did not skip a beat, jumping out to a 35-0 first quarter lead.
- The huge early lead is thanks largely in part to the defense. Seniors Conor O’Dea and Jake Netherton both had interceptions deep in Fairdale territory. Junior Harrison Pate also had a pick that he returned for a touchdown.
- Junior running back Anthony Moretti scored a touchdown for the second consecutive week. He has played well in reserve status behind Metzmeier and will continue to contribute out of the backfield.
- St. X had eight touchdowns from eight different players last night. Will Ginter, Harrison Pate, Anthony Moretti, Trenton Zoeller, Myles Harris, Brycen Harkins, John Kleine-Kracht, and Logan Davis all found the endzone. These were also the first TDs of the year for Pate, Zoeller, Harris, Harkins, Kleine-Kracht, and Davis.
- The Tiger defense looked extremely good yet again. They had four takeaways (3 interceptions, 1 fumble recovery) and scarcely gave up first downs. They also kept the opponent under 20 points for the second straight game. Stingy D will be a huge factor for the St. X down the stretch this year.
- Special teams were also very sound for the Tigers. The kickers were 8/8 on extra points and recorded several touchbacks. Kick coverage was also particularly solid, allowing no big returns for the Bulldogs.
Coach Wolford’s squad is back in action next Friday night at Central. Go Tigers!