Freshman Football Takes Down Trinity

Photo by Megan Stearman (@SaintXpics)

The freshman football team defeated Trinity 14-7 in overtime (OT). The game was physical with the offense using a ground and pound running attack led by running-back Brandon Chang and quarterback/wide receiver Douglas Bodaine.

The Tigers went back and forth with Trinity in the first quarter until Chang scored a seven yard touchdown that was set up by an interception by Jake D’Antoni. The quarter ended with the Tigers leading  7-0.

With  both teams primarily running the ball in the second quarter, Trinity scored a touchdown with about two minutes left in the half. On the following drive Trinity intercepted the ball from Bodhaine and ended the Tiger’s final drive. Trinity ran the clock down with 42 seconds left in the the second quarter. The score was 7-7 at halftime.

The third quarter was scoreless for both teams and with a little less than five minutes left in the fourth quarter Casey Gerhardt snagged a one-handed interception to set the Tiger’s offense up close to the 45 yard line. The Tigers brought the ball down to the Trinity 30 yard line where they were stopped with 1:41 left in the fourth quarter. The Tigers immediately retaliated with their own defensive effort and forced Trinity to fumble the ball on the 38 yard line.

Trinity’s defense held up and forced the Tigers to kick a 32 yard field goal. The Tiger’s missed the field goal attempt and gave the ball up to Trinity with 47 seconds left, where the Shamrocks tried to run the ball and get out of bounds as much as possible in order to preserve time on the clock. The Tiger’s defense stopped Trinity’s rushing game and caused the game to go into overtime with a score of 7-7.

After the coin toss, the Tigers received the ball first in OT. After a one yard rush from Chang and no gain on second down from Bodaine, the Tigers received a holding penalty to make it third and 19 on the 19 yard line. On third down Bodaine stepped back in the shotgun formation and connected with Cameron Johnson for a touchdown.

Trinity then received the ball on the 10 yard line and rushed for two yards. On second down the Tigers forced a fumble and recovered it on the six yard line to end the game with St. X winning with a final score of 14-7.

Posted on September 29, 2016, in WSTX Sports. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: