Tiger Soccer comes back to beat Oldham County 4-3

Trent Stigler | Photo by Kody Nalley

Trent Stigler | Photo by Kody Nalley

The Tiger Soccer team went on the road Thursday night to face the third-ranked Oldham County Colonels. The Tigers responded to adversity and came back to get the win after being down 3-1 with 12 minutes remaining. Seniors Trent Stigler and Colin Kremer along with sophomore Lucas Mudd supplied the goals tonight.

The Tigers started off slow against the physical style of the Colonels. Early in the game junior goalie Clayton Allen made a few saves including a spectacular diving save in the 5th minute. The Tigers’ best chance of the first half came when sophomore Bennett Moorman dribbled past the Colonel defender and dropped one off to Stigler. Stigler ripped a shot, but the OC goalie, who played a solid game, saved it with relative ease. A ball finally found its way into the back of the net when the Tigers’ back line had a miscommunication which resulted in an empty net opportunity for the Oldham County forward. The score would remain 1-0 up to halftime. But, if not for a few Clayton Allen saves, the score could have been much worse for the Tigers.

At the beginning of the second half, the Colonels added another goal on a perfectly placed shot. That goal made the score 2-0 in the 46th minute. The Tigers finally got on the board when senior Graham Reynolds drew a penalty. Stigler put it in and brought the Tigers to within one with 24 minutes left in the game. With just over 15 minutes remaining, the Colonels scored once more, putting them ahead 3-1. It looked like the Tigers were out of it when, in the 68th minute, Stigler headed a corner kick in. The Tigers were pressing and trying to get the ball forward when, in the 72nd minute, Kremer, thanks to a Stigler pass, was able to get the shot past the keeper to bring the score to 3-3.

A draw would have been a more than satisfactory result given how the game had started, but in the 76th minute Mudd, thanks to another beautiful pass from Stigler, was able to beat the OC keeper and give the Tigers a 4-3 lead. That would be the score at the final buzzer, and the Tiger’s magnificent comeback was complete.

“This game meant a lot to the entire team,” Mudd said. “We were down 2-0, and we came together, and we got some good goals. We just have to keep it up.”

Stigler, who scored two goals and assisted on the others, credited the comeback to the defense.

“Honestly, it started with our defense. Brett [Hulsmeyer] came in, he played like a man. [Andrew] Schnurr played like a man the whole game,” Stigler said. “The team rallied around the captains and picked our game up in the second half.”

The Tigers came into the game as the lower ranked of the two soccer teams, and for the first 50 minutes it looked like that was the case. In the end, the Tigers were able to orchestrate a comeback, scoring 3 goals in under 8 minutes. And like senior Nick Eimers said after the game, “It’s non-stop from here boys.”

Go Tigers!

Posted on October 9, 2015, in Tiger Soccer and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off on Tiger Soccer comes back to beat Oldham County 4-3.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: